Bill Sugarman: Moving Laterally and the Power of a Book of Business
In this episode, Steve Fretzin and Bill Sugarman discuss:
- What firms are looking for in lateral hiring.
- The top reasons that lawyers are looking to change firms.
- The misconceptions about building a book of business.
- Why you may want to work with a legal recruiter (such as Astor Search) when looking for new lawyers for your firm or your own lateral move.
- Having your own established book of business can make a difference in your compensation when moving between firms.
- You always want to be yourself, but you don’t want to get too comfortable in an interview or with a law firm. It requires a measured approach that is professional in nature at all times.
- You need to do your due diligence on the firms you are looking to move to see if you are a good fit for them and them for you.
- Don’t discuss politics or religion – you don’t want to alienate anyone before you even have a chance to work with them.
“The ability to develop a book is more than just the immediate compensation, the ability to develop a book and have a well-entrenched client base allows an individual to really get to the next level, and, frankly, control their destiny in a material way.” — Bill Sugarman
Connect with Bill Sugarman:
Connect with Steve Fretzin:
LinkedIn: Steve Fretzin
Facebook: Fretzin, Inc.
YouTube: Steve Fretzin
Call Steve directly at 847-602-6911
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.