Catherine O’Connell: Legal Business Development…in Japan!
In this episode, Steve Fretzin and Catherine O’Connell discuss:
- Being your own brand in a solo firm.
- Maneuvering through a list of contacts and utilizing organizational contacts.
- Tips for handling meetings with Japanese clients.
- Greetings and etiquette for leaving meetings.
- What is risky to one person, may not be considered a risk by other individuals.
- In Japan, introductions are your gold medal door opener – don’t cold call, because the relationship matters more.
- When you are working with different cultures, you have to understand the social context of what people are saying rather than the exact definition of the words being said.
- Having a digital business card is becoming a new trend as the world learns to continue networking in a COVID and post-COVID world.
“Working in Japan, and being successful here, is all about the long game. You’ve really got to be here and invest in relationships. It will take a long time until you can actually build up enough rapport with somebody to have a business relationship with them.” — Catherine O’Connell
Connect with Catherine O’Connell:
Connect with Steve Fretzin:
LinkedIn: Steve Fretzin
Facebook: Fretzin, Inc.
Book: The Ambitious Attorney: Your Guide to Doubling or Even Tripling Your Book of Business and more!
YouTube: Steve Fretzin
Call Steve directly at 847-602-6911
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Grow Your Practice
Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch