Charles Gillis: Planting the Seeds on the Path to Partnership
In this episode, Steve Fretzin and Charles Gillis discuss:
- The two things that make lawyers most successful.
- The single biggest trap lawyers face on their path to being an equity partner.
- Challenges on the path to promotion.
- Advice to mid-level attorneys looking to build their business.
- Lawyers need to focus on their higher purposes. If they are taking time to do the time-taking activities, the firm is probably losing unnecessary money.
- You need to keep building higher and higher. Look at your career development path and don’t confuse the rewards you get for productivity for validation of career progress.
- Put more and more time into your business development plan each year once you’ve reached your production goals.
- Business development doesn’t get easier the longer you wait. Start small, start now, and be consistent.
“You have to recognize the end goal is to have clients, but you will not secure that day one, you’ll plant seeds on day one.” — Charles Gillis
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Legalese Marketing: https://legaleasemarketing.com/
Practice Panther: https://www.practicepanther.com/
- Book: The Goal by Eliyahu Goldratt
About Charles Gillis: Charles Gillis is a seasoned business executive who has over thirty years of law firm administration experience. At Platt Cheema Richmond, Mr. Gillis oversees all strategic and operational matters for the firm, including finances, human resources, and administration. He is the author of The Seven Year Trap: Back Office Observations of the Business of Law & the Path to Partnership.
Charles received an undergraduate degree from The University of Texas at Austin, an executive MBA from The University of Texas at Dallas, and a Graduate Finance Certificate from Southern Methodist University. He holds an SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) designation.
Connect with Charles Gillis:
Connect with Steve Fretzin:
LinkedIn: Steve Fretzin
Facebook: Fretzin, Inc.
YouTube: Steve Fretzin
Call Steve directly at 847-602-6911
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Grow Your Practice
Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch