Tom Freeman: The Billable Hour is Broken
In this episode, Steve Fretzin and Tom Freeman discuss:
- The evolution of the legal industry between the great recession and the great resignation.
- Building beyond the billable hour.
- The future of law firm cultures.
- The value and portability of having your own book of business.
- Lawyers and associates now have more choices than they ever have and they are being more particular about what they are willing to accept.
- DEI is late coming to law firms and law firm culture, but we are starting to see a shift. The thriving firms are the ones that are embracing DEI.
- The practice of law is changing for the better as more diversity joins in the industry. Minorities and women are going to law school more than ever and bringing a different perspective.
- Law schools don’t teach you to think like a lawyer, they teach you to think like a law professor.
“The billable hour model is broken. It doesn’t incentivize those types of mentoring relationships, or those types of collegial training experiences.” — Tom Freeman
Connect with Tom Freeman:
Thank you to our Sponsors!
Legalese Marketing: https://legaleasemarketing.com/
Connect with Steve Fretzin:
LinkedIn: Steve Fretzin
Facebook: Fretzin, Inc.
Book: The Ambitious Attorney: Your Guide to Doubling or Even Tripling Your Book of Business and more!
YouTube: Steve Fretzin
Call Steve directly at 847-602-6911
Show notes by Podcastologist Chelsea Taylor-Sturkie
Audio production by Turnkey Podcast Productions. You’re the expert. Your podcast will prove it.
Grow Your Practice
Fill out the form below and we’ll be in touch